How long after a tenant has just up and left can we start removing of his things and or selling them? In cortland ny.

Ithaca, NY |

We had to evict this tenant for not upholding the condition on our lease. He hasn't given us rent or spoken or made any kind of contact since may 25th. We still need the portion of rent and was wondering if it legal to sell his things after a certain amount in time, in cortland ny?

1. Did the Sherriff actually do the eviction? If YES, why didn't the Sherriff take the stuff?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Landlord-tenant law topics