How long after a judgement is filed with the clerk of the court is it valid. I understand that it must be renewed every 7 years.

Asked about 3 years ago - Longwood, FL

What happens if it isn't renewed?

1. Mark Hankins

Answered . That is a popular misconception fueled in part by the tendency of judgmentholders to re-record their mortgages at 7 year intervals in an effort to keep them on debtors' credit reports.

The facts: Florida judgments expire (if at all--there is some controversy) at 20 years, but can be renewed before expiry.
    Florida personal property liens docketed in Tallahassee are good for five years, and can be renewed once for a second five-year term. Florida real property liens recorded in a Florida county are good for 10 years and may be renewed for another ten years, and may be renewed yet again if the underlying judgment is timely renewed.

2. Robert Edward Tardif Jr.

Answered . Judgment is valid for 20 years. Although I've never seen it happen before, the law appears to allow a creditor who owns a judgment to actually sue upon the unpaid judgment to effective renew it as long as it's done before 20 years. As noted, I've not seen it happen before and 20 years is a long time and I would doubt normal creditors would do this.

3. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS ON ENFORCEMENT:

Open Account (credit cards): 4 years

Written Contract: 5 years

Domestic Judgment: 7 years (renewable)

Foreign Judgment: 5 years

4. Jay Jump

Answered . In Washington State, a judgment is typically good for ten years and can be renewed one time for another ten years. However, this is only for judgments rendered in WA State or recognized by the WA State Court System. For example, if you had a Judgment in FL and wanted to enforce it in Washington, you would need to register your Judgment in Washington State. Then you could enforce it in Washington.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now