How long after a judgement is filed with the clerk of the court is it valid. I understand that it must be renewed every 7 years.

Longwood, FL |
Filed under: Bankruptcy Lien

What happens if it isn't renewed?

1. That is a popular misconception fueled in part by the tendency of judgmentholders to re-record their mortgages at 7 year intervals in an effort to keep them on debtors' credit reports.

The facts: Florida judgments expire (if at all--there is some controversy) at 20 years, but can be renewed before expiry.
    Florida personal property liens docketed in Tallahassee are good for five years, and can be renewed once for a second five-year term. Florida real property liens recorded in a Florida county are good for 10 years and may be renewed for another ten years, and may be renewed yet again if the underlying judgment is timely renewed.

I am a Florida-licensed attorney. Any answers I give which are not specific to Florida should be construed as general legal information only and not legal advice. Any answers specific to Florida are not given in the course of an attorney/client relationship, which may only be established by hiring me. You may find my book "Debt Hope: Down and Dirty Survival Strategies" (available from better booksellers) to be a helpful resource.

2. STATUTE OF LIMITATIONS ON ENFORCEMENT:

Open Account (credit cards): 4 years

Written Contract: 5 years

Domestic Judgment: 7 years (renewable)

Foreign Judgment: 5 years

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

3. In Washington State, a judgment is typically good for ten years and can be renewed one time for another ten years. However, this is only for judgments rendered in WA State or recognized by the WA State Court System. For example, if you had a Judgment in FL and wanted to enforce it in Washington, you would need to register your Judgment in Washington State. Then you could enforce it in Washington.

This answer is intended for informational purposes only and no attorney/client relationship is formed by the viewing or reading of the response to the users question. Always seek the advice of competent and legal counsel before engaging in any legal action.

4. Judgment is valid for 20 years. Although I've never seen it happen before, the law appears to allow a creditor who owns a judgment to actually sue upon the unpaid judgment to effective renew it as long as it's done before 20 years. As noted, I've not seen it happen before and 20 years is a long time and I would doubt normal creditors would do this.