How long after a Huntley/Mapp/Dunaway pretrial hearing does jury selection for a felony trial begin in NYC Manhattan Court?

Asked 11 months ago - New York, NY

How long after a Huntley/Mapp/Dunaway pretrial hearing does jury selection for a felony trial begin in NYC Manhattan Court? How long does a trial usually take to get to fruition after pretrial hearings have been completed?

Additionally, the defendant wishes to get the pretrial testimony transcribed prior to commencement of trial.
That should read: How long after a Huntley/Mapp/Dunaway pretrial hearing does jury selection begin for a felony trial in NYC Manhattan Court?*

1. Richard C. Southard

Pro

5

Best Answer

Answered . It depends on the availability of the parties, judge and witnesses, as well as how quickly the judge rules on the hearing. The preference in NY County is to do the trial immediately after the hearings.

2. Michael Lewis Marley

Pro

6

Answered . Sometimes a hearing, upon completion, is immediately followed by jury selection and trial. Bot other times there is a time gap but this usually not very long.
    It often depends on the other trials the defense attorney and the DA have on their plate, how old each respective case is and another factor is if the defendant is incarcerated. Jail cases are supposed to be prioritized,

Law Office Of Michael Marley
    Phone 917 853 4484

3. Stephen C. Cooper

4

Answered . Often, hearings are followed immediately with trial, other times not. Each case is different and the length and complexity of cases vary. A short felony trial can take two days and a long one several months.

4. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . Usually right away.

5. Glenn Johnston

4

Answered . The answer is that it depends. You will not be able to control how and when the jury selection begins.
    Do not try to. As to the transcriptions of the underlying matter, if you need them for the defense in the felony case, then you should speak to the criminal attorney you are working with to make sure those are added to the defense exhibits.

If you don't have a lawyer, get one.

This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.
  6. George Peter Conway

3

Answered . If the attorneys who have previously answered are correct and the trial is commenced right after the hearings, your lawyer maybe able to order a same day transcript. I do not know if they offer that service in the busy courts of NYC.

7. Marco Caviglia

3

Answered . Typically, right away. If you want a transcript of the pre-trial hearing(s), you must request it on the record prior to the commencement of the hearing(s) so that you can be timely supplied with them prior to the trial. Your attorney will discuss details with you.