How long after a Huntley/Mapp/Dunaway pretrial hearing does jury selection for a felony trial begin in NYC Manhattan Court?

New York, NY |

How long after a Huntley/Mapp/Dunaway pretrial hearing does jury selection for a felony trial begin in NYC Manhattan Court? How long does a trial usually take to get to fruition after pretrial hearings have been completed?

Additionally, the defendant wishes to get the pretrial testimony transcribed prior to commencement of trial. That should read: How long after a Huntley/Mapp/Dunaway pretrial hearing does jury selection begin for a felony trial in NYC Manhattan Court?*

It depends on the availability of the parties, judge and witnesses, as well as how quickly the judge rules on the hearing. The preference in NY County is to do the trial immediately after the hearings.

I am a former Brooklyn Criminal Court Deputy Bureau Chief with over 17 years experience specializing in handling criminal cases. All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. Also, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.

2. Sometimes a hearing, upon completion, is immediately followed by jury selection and trial. Bot other times there is a time gap but this usually not very long.
    It often depends on the other trials the defense attorney and the DA have on their plate, how old each respective case is and another factor is if the defendant is incarcerated. Jail cases are supposed to be prioritized,

Law Office Of Michael Marley
    Phone 917 853 4484

3. Often, hearings are followed immediately with trial, other times not. Each case is different and the length and complexity of cases vary. A short felony trial can take two days and a long one several months.

4. Usually right away.

The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

5. The answer is that it depends. You will not be able to control how and when the jury selection begins.
    Do not try to. As to the transcriptions of the underlying matter, if you need them for the defense in the felony case, then you should speak to the criminal attorney you are working with to make sure those are added to the defense exhibits.

If you don't have a lawyer, get one.

This does not constitute legal advice or the engagement of my services as an attorney.

6. If the attorneys who have previously answered are correct and the trial is commenced right after the hearings, your lawyer maybe able to order a same day transcript. I do not know if they offer that service in the busy courts of NYC.

The information provided is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or current. I make no warranty, expressed or implied, about the accuracy or reliability of the information. You should not act or rely on any information at above without seeking the advice of an attorney. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on websites or advertisement

7. Typically, right away. If you want a transcript of the pre-trial hearing(s), you must request it on the record prior to the commencement of the hearing(s) so that you can be timely supplied with them prior to the trial. Your attorney will discuss details with you.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.