How long after a case is disposed does it take to get released?

Atlanta, GA |

My friend is currently in custody in the county jail. His case got disposed before ever going to trial or anything. Pretty much the day after they gave him a bond. Is this normal? Also, how long will it take for them to release him from custody. I called the jail but they are saying he still has a bond, and that they haven't got any paperwork stating different.

1. depending on the sentence he received, just paying the bond may not release him. I would suggest contacting his attorney and asking if the sentence in his case will require him to serve additional time. If the matter is not resolved, then I would presume posting bond would be the necessary step to getting him released. Of course, all this assumes he has no other holds or outstanding issues. Hope he is released soon.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the State of Georgia.

2. If the case was dismissed it can still take time for the jail to get the information, and process him out. If he is in The Fulton County Jail it could take up to 24 hours.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

3. What do you mean his case "got disposed" before every going to trial? Did he enter a guilty plea? If so was he sentenced to jail? If not and his case is still pending did anyone post his bond?