How long after a car accident do you have to file a police report in chicago?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicago, IL

I hit a car and need to know if after over a month I can still file a claim.

1. Nima Taradji

6

Answered . A police report is mandatory if the property damage is in excess of $1000 and/or someone has been injured. If you did not file a PR at the time the incident and now you have realized that you should have, contact the Chicago PD and ask to file a report.

I hope this helps

2. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

4

Answered . As soon as possible, although some jurisdictions have more specific requirements.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

3. Steven Adam Sigmond

4

Answered . As the other attorneys said, you should still contact the Chicago Police and attempt to make a report. I'd like to address the other, perhaps more important question that you raised, can you still file a claim? Yes, you can. If you were injured, you have two years to file an injury lawsuit in most situations (some defendants have special statutory protections that reduce the period to one year). If you are only claiming property damage, you have five years to file suit. If you are talking about filing a claim agaisnt your own company, there might be different notification provisions in your contract. You'd want to read the policy or call your insurance agent. It's hard to give you any better guidance because you supplied such thin facts. I strongly suggest you contact a Chicago Accident Lawyer and talk over the details of your claim,

Steven A. Sigmond
    Law Office of Steven A. Sigmond
    (312) 756-1186
    steve@siglaw.com

4. Donald Solomon Nathan

1

Answered . You need to review the circumstances with a lawyer who specializes in auto crashes as soon as possible after reporting it to the police (assuming no police report was made previously). There are lots of possibilities, and you have not listed any of the facts of your crash that would affect the kind of advice that would be appropriate.'

Any lawyer worth his salt would give you 30 minutes of his time to go over things. Call someone from the AVVO list, or go to the Chicago Bar Association or the West Suburban Bar Association for a reference. Any of the lawyers licensed in Illinois who have answered this question would be able to help you.

Donald Nathan
    630-758-1500
    www.donaldnathanlaw.com

Pro

1

Answered . In most states you can walk into the police station and file a counter report even months after an accident.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com