Skip to main content

How long after a car accident do you have to file a police report in chicago?

Chicago, IL |

I hit a car and need to know if after over a month I can still file a claim.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


As soon as possible, although some jurisdictions have more specific requirements.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.


A police report is mandatory if the property damage is in excess of $1000 and/or someone has been injured. If you did not file a PR at the time the incident and now you have realized that you should have, contact the Chicago PD and ask to file a report.

I hope this helps

The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship



None of us got injured. The other car had a tiny scratch almost invisible. We both agreed to settle it out of a police report. Now she wants to file one after almost two months.


As the other attorneys said, you should still contact the Chicago Police and attempt to make a report. I'd like to address the other, perhaps more important question that you raised, can you still file a claim? Yes, you can. If you were injured, you have two years to file an injury lawsuit in most situations (some defendants have special statutory protections that reduce the period to one year). If you are only claiming property damage, you have five years to file suit. If you are talking about filing a claim agaisnt your own company, there might be different notification provisions in your contract. You'd want to read the policy or call your insurance agent. It's hard to give you any better guidance because you supplied such thin facts. I strongly suggest you contact a Chicago Accident Lawyer and talk over the details of your claim,

Steven A. Sigmond
Law Office of Steven A. Sigmond
(312) 756-1186


In most states you can walk into the police station and file a counter report even months after an accident.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755


You need to review the circumstances with a lawyer who specializes in auto crashes as soon as possible after reporting it to the police (assuming no police report was made previously). There are lots of possibilities, and you have not listed any of the facts of your crash that would affect the kind of advice that would be appropriate.'

Any lawyer worth his salt would give you 30 minutes of his time to go over things. Call someone from the AVVO list, or go to the Chicago Bar Association or the West Suburban Bar Association for a reference. Any of the lawyers licensed in Illinois who have answered this question would be able to help you.

Donald Nathan

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer