How long motion to reopen does it take ? they denied my green card by mistake (error)

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

they denied my green card (i 485) because i left the states before the decision but the problem is i didn't leave at all !!! i have been waiting 9 month till now!!!!what evidence they need for this case too??

Attorney answers (4)

  1. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more
  2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Get a lawyer to handle this for you.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  3. David Nabow Soloway

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . As you can see from the previous responses, the USCIS is inconsistent in the amount of time it takes to adjudicate a Motion to Reopen, but most likely the delay will be quite long, and it would be a mistake to try to pursue that course without being represented by an immigration attorney. Beyond that, however, note that this is a good example of how the anxiety, costs and delays resulting from USCIS error most likely could have been avoided by legal representation from the beginning, since an immigration attorney could have addressed the issue at the earliest possible stage, or could have used the USCIS/American Immigration Lawyers Association liaison process to get USCIS attention and reverse the Service error promptly upon receiving a Notice of Intent to Deny or other initial communication from the USCIS about its reason for denial.

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

    David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 *

    [Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal... more
  4. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . There is no normal processing time for motions.
    Option 1: continue waiting
    Option 2: do an InfoPass.
    Option 3: retain an experienced immigration attorney.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,119 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,119 answers this week

3,046 attorneys answering