How long can court ordered supervised visitation last

Jamaica, NY |

I have currently been indicated by ACS for leaving my non custodial 6 year old home for 2 hours. And i have voluntary enrolled in 10 week parenting classes for that misstep. I am currently getting divorced. My wife signed the papers for joint custody but child lives with wife. Now after this incident my wife want 6years of supervised visitation and no one will change that plus sole physical and legal custody? I only want 1 year of supervised visits plus , a cell phone and web cam for the child. whats worse is that we did this by ourselves and now she took me to family court, but that referee said she will simply dismiss case because we have to sort it out in supreme court.The supreme court case has yet been approved. How long can this supervised visits?How do we fix this mess,

1. Most of the time, supervised visitation is required only for as long as the issue that caused the court to issue the order for supervised visitation lasts. That is, however, likely to be entirely up to the judge. Your best bet at this point is to hire an experienced family law attorney to help you with this mess. Good luck!

Mr. West may be reached at 615-889-1051 during regular business hours. If he is not available, please leave a voice message. All of Mr. West's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question. Mr. West's responses are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and his response to the question above is not legal advice. Mr. West's response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Mr. West is licensed to practice law in Tennessee. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.

2. The Court's goal is to only have supervised visits as long as they are necessary. Your wife cannot dictate how long supervised visits last. This should be up to the Judge with input from the law guardian and ACS. You need an experienced attorney to handle your divorce and the custody/visitation issues surrounding your divorce. I would be happy to have you in for a consultation to discuss the matter further. I can be reached at 646-470-0780 or rachel@rssfamilylaw.com. Good luck.

3. Supervision only lasts as long as necessary to protect the child. It is not meant to be punishment. The exact length of time and the transition to unsupervised will be determined by the court if no agreement is reached. But based upon the information given, supervision should not last for a long time.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Child custody topics