Skip to main content

How log does it take for a falony (trafic drugs) to prescibe or statute of limitations in Texas I was charged 16 years ago

Dallas, TX |

I went across the border without knowing I had it and went to jail but got out on bell then I went to mexico since then I havent been in the US I need to know if it is still on my record

Attorney Answers 2


If the arrest was in Dallas County, you can look on their website ( to see if there is a case pending against you. If the case is in another county, you may be able to check their website. If not, call a defense attorney in that county to see what they can find out for you.

If the case was filed back then, it hasn't gone away. It's just sitting there with an active warrant. If the case wasn't filed, the statute of limitations has expired.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Contact a lawyer who is local to where you were charged. The lawyer can access the information about the case - perhaps online or at least in the clerk's office - and tell you the status and how you should proceed.

There is great chance given the level of offense that there is a warrant for your arrest and if you enter the U.S., you will be arrested.

Cynthia Henley

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics