How likely is it to prove that your husband should require supervised visitation with your small child after your divorce?

Cumberland, MD |

He has been an absentee father since my son's birth. He feels that his contribution is only needed to be financial. He doesn't make time for his family. He repeatedly has said he has no time for anything but work. He also, since my son has been born, has fallen asleep on multiple occasions when he is to be watching my son so I could do a basic task like shower. I am terrified for my 2 year old son's safety if he is left alone with my husband.

1. When you ask how likely it is to prove something in a court of law, that is tantamount to asking an attorney to predict the future. The likelihood of proving something in a court of law to the satisfaction of the judge or master is a complicated matter, and much depends upon the quality of the evidence on your side, and the quality of the other side's defense. If you can prove it is in the child's best interest that the father be subjected to supervised visitation, then the court can order that. However, supervised visitation is reserved for those parents who truly are bad parents and pose a danger to a child. Can this be proven? Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on what I stated above. I recommend you consult with an attorney and review all the evidence together.

Office: (410) 381-1656. This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.

2. Based solely upon the facts in your question, I would say that it is unlikely for supervised visitation to be granted. If there are other facts that show the child's father to be violent, aggressive, or otherwise dangerous then you stand a better chance of having supervised visitation granted. Generally, supervised visitation is only granted in the most extreme cases.