Skip to main content

How likely is it that my ex will get visitation???

Moraine, OH |

My ex has not seen his daughter in over 2 years. He decided he wants to take me to court for visitation. He has an extensive record (domestic violence, rape when he was a minor, drugs, his other daughter accused him of showing her dirty movies, ect). I want him to sign his rights over. What is the likely hood he would get visitation??

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Courts strive to protect a parent's right to have contact and the possibility of a healthy relationship with a child, but even more so courts will protect a child whose safety is threatened or best interests are disregarded by a parent. His visitastion, if any, should be limited in time and heavily supervised by a paid professional (at his expense).

    Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

  2. You should discuss your situation with an attorney in your state knowledgeable in the law of child custody and visitation. The laws vary from state to state, but most states look at what is in the best interests of the child. This will involve a number of factors, including how well the child is doing in the custodial parent's custody, whether the custodial parent has impeded the other parent in having access to the child, and whether the non-custodial parent can provide a safe environment to the child for visitation. A lot would depend also on how long ago his transgressions which you list occurred, and what steps he has taken to become a better parent. Your daughter's age would also be factor. Judges like to ensure that children have relationships with both parents, and also of course that the child is safe and the relationship is healthy. Sometimes visitation in a situation such as you describe would start as supervised visitation for short periods of time. Each case is different, which is why it is important for you to consult with an attorney in your own jurisdiction regarding your own specific facts.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice, nor does it create an attorney/client relationship. It is not intended to constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction. You should consult an attorney in your own jurisdiction for advice regarding your individual situation.

  3. He has rights to see his child, but the answer maybe "supervised visitation", he has a right to companionship with his child. My information suggests you should find a good domestic relations lawyer to minimize when and how he can see her.

    My information suggests you have good facts on your side to potentially limit companionship and a good argument for supervised visitation.

    Legal disclaimer: I am not your attorney and we have no attorney/client relationship. This response is submitted for informational purposes only. This is not legal advice, nor is it intended to be taken as such. Anyone considering the above referenced response and should always consult directly with an attorney within your jurisdiction before taking any action based on this, or any other information. This information is provided without any cost and therefore is what it is worth. Again this information does not create any privileged attorney/client relationship and you are cautioned about information you convey to any person in a public forum.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics