How likely is it that Maine Estate Recovery will pursue a claim against an Estate with an out of state Personal Represenative.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Corning, NY

Trying to protect what little assets my Father had, who died a year ago. The Estate value is only about $25,000. No Will, 3 heirs, and did file with the Probate Court in Maine. He does not have any assets in Maine. I am the Personal Rep and live in New York. Mainecare is trying to collect $5000 from care he received 10 years ago. Considering the amount involved, is it likely they would try to collect it through the courts, if I was to close the Estate now.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . I doubt a NY lawyer can give you a meaningful answer. I suggest you re-post this in the Maine Avvo section. I suggest you be careful how you act so you don't incur personal liability.

2. Peter Vincent Arcese

2

1

Answered . This area of law is especially state and even locally specific. Since estate recovery is a hot issue due to budget cutbacks, I suggest you consult with a Maine estates &/or elder law attorney, even though the estate is small. You might try a member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys (NAELA) who handles estate recovery issues.

3. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

Answered . My colleagues are correct. Your most prudent course of action is to speak with a probate or elder law attorney in Maine. The laws regarding recovery are unique to each state. You need to be careful how you proceed so that you do not create personal liability for yourself. Good luck.