Skip to main content

How likely is it that i will go to jail or prison?

Decatur, GA |

I gave my sister my bank card/i.d. in exchange for a little money (400), she deposited 4 (stolen) checks totaling 4k, then withdrew funds (found all this out later).I never went to any bank, or signed my name on anything! It was all her and SHE'S on camera. I cooperated from day one she didn't. I'm charged with forgery in the 1st degree/theft by taking, and she has 2 of each charge. I have no record and 4 lawyers gave me a phone consultation and said Ill PROBABLY get probation/restitution. Also, is it too late if she tells them I had NOTHING to do with it? I know its lying, but I have a lot more to lose than her. They have no physical evidence that I actually received anything just my statement stating that I did. Please help, thanks.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. The State has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed the offenses that you are charged with. If you cooperated and gave a statement then you may have already made the State's case.


    Your role in the grand scheme of the crime as well as all the good things you have done in your life are factors that will determine if you face incarceration.

    Generally speaking, the "better" you have been in your life the more likely a judge will give you a "break".

    The answer provided is for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship between Adam Sean Cohen and the user or browser. The opinions expressed are only the opinions of Adam Sean Cohen.

  2. Get an attorney immediately. A good one ought to be able to work it out so that you don't even get probation. That's my opinion, anyway, and I know there are lots of good lawyers in your county.

    Good luck

    You can contact me at my office at 770-744-4211 or by email through this website. The questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

  3. Based on the facts you provided it will be extremely difficult for a prosecutor to prove you were guilty of any violation of law sufficient to cause you to be sent to prison. It sounds like the four lawyers you have already spoken to were on the right track.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics