Skip to main content

How likely is it that I can get a court-ordered ignition-interlock device (IID) requirement shortened?

Santa Ana, CA |

I was convicted of DUI in Fullerton, CA in November 2011 and subsequently convicted of driving on a suspended license in Santa Ana, CA in July 2012. Part of the punishment for the latter was an IID requirement for 3 years (ordered by the court) and 5 months (for the DMV). My probation was also revoked and reinstated (3 more years) after being convicted in July 2012. I had the device installed and got my license back in the beginning of January 2013. Most people I've talked to with the same case as me (single DUI conviction + driving on suspended) were only required to have the device installed for 1 year (as ordered by the court). My DUI ticket is paid off and I almost have the DOS ticket paid off. Is it possible to get this device removed earlier than 3 years?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It is possible, but difficult in Orange County. best to contact the lawyer that represented you in Court.


There's really only one way to find out. Either you or an attorney must get your case on calendar to try to modify your terms of probation. Your chances of succeeding are higher with a locally experienced DUI attorney. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen


Talk to your attorney. Good luck


I would want to review your terms and conditions of probation from both cases. If you had an attorney for those cases I would consult with him/her. If you didn't have an attorney then contact an AVVO attorney qualified in DUI?DMV matters. I find it strange that the DMV required the IID in an Orange County case on a 1st offense. When you meet with an attorney bring in all of the paperwork you were provided AND a DMV printout of your CDL history. Good luck.

Contributions to do not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer