How likely is it that I can get a court-ordered ignition-interlock device (IID) requirement shortened?

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Ana, CA

I was convicted of DUI in Fullerton, CA in November 2011 and subsequently convicted of driving on a suspended license in Santa Ana, CA in July 2012. Part of the punishment for the latter was an IID requirement for 3 years (ordered by the court) and 5 months (for the DMV). My probation was also revoked and reinstated (3 more years) after being convicted in July 2012. I had the device installed and got my license back in the beginning of January 2013. Most people I've talked to with the same case as me (single DUI conviction + driving on suspended) were only required to have the device installed for 1 year (as ordered by the court). My DUI ticket is paid off and I almost have the DOS ticket paid off. Is it possible to get this device removed earlier than 3 years?

1. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

6

Answered . It is possible, but difficult in Orange County. best to contact the lawyer that represented you in Court.

2. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

5

Answered . There's really only one way to find out. Either you or an attorney must get your case on calendar to try to modify your terms of probation. Your chances of succeeding are higher with a locally experienced DUI attorney. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

3. Ethan Patrick Meaney

Pro

4

Answered . Talk to your attorney. Good luck

4. Anthony David Scott

1

Answered . I would want to review your terms and conditions of probation from both cases. If you had an attorney for those cases I would consult with him/her. If you didn't have an attorney then contact an AVVO attorney qualified in DUI?DMV matters. I find it strange that the DMV required the IID in an Orange County case on a 1st offense. When you meet with an attorney bring in all of the paperwork you were provided AND a DMV printout of your CDL history. Good luck.

Contributions to AVVO.com do not establish an attorney-client relationship.