Skip to main content

How likely is it that I can gain Managing Conservatorship of my 9 year old daughter?

Fort Worth, TX |

I have been divorced for 8 years. While I have joint custody of my daughter, my ex is the Managing Conservator and I pay child support to her. However, my daughter is with me 5 out of 7 days a week. What is the likelihood that I could win if I take her back to court to have the custody switched over to me? In addition, what steps do I need to take to have the child support modified, since I maintain more than 50% of my daughter's care (housing, food, clothing, medical expenses, etc.) Thank you!

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    You're probably in a good spot to file a modification. Find an experienced family law attorney to review your decree of divorce and current situation in a face to face consultation. You might also gather any documentation you have that would be relevant to such a change.

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

  2. Actually you seem to have met most of the points necessary to switch custody. Best interest of the child is the standard for the couts.
    First, things first, you need to hire an experienced family law attorney in Fort Worth. The court may appoint an amicus attorney and even order a custody evaluator.
    I wish you the best.

  3. Attorneys can't tell you the likelihood of something happening. Attorneys take facts and present them to the judge. The judge then weighs the facts and makes a decision.

  4. Hire a lawyer to file your modification.

    This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

  5. Those certainly sound like grounds for modifcation of custody. The longer that has been going on the better your chances. Get an attorney.

    This does not establish an attorney/client relationship

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics