Skip to main content

How likely is it that a petition for post secondary education will be granted?

Broomfield, CO |

The Order states that there is a right to petition. I was just curious as to how in the world you can be made to pay for a child's education when there are so many options out there.
especially as you are getting ready to retire (at the end of your working career) and they are just getting started...

Attorney Answers 2


Interesting post. Sit down with an experienced family law attorney to discuss the situation. In general, for cases arising post-1997, it takes very specific circumstances for a court to be allowed to enter an order regarding post-secondary education fees to be paid. In other words, it is very, very rare.

Good luck.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


A lawyer would have to see exactly what your current orders say in order to have an opinion on this one. In general, unless the legislature changes the law again, if your child support order was entered on or after July 1, 1997, Colorado courts have no authority to require parents to pay for their children's college education, unless the parents agreed to such an arrangement in a written stipulation was was presented to, and made an order of, the court. This answer is provided as general information about a legal issue, is not legal advice specific to a particular case, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the person asking the question.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics