How likely is extradition from Nebraska to Illinois on a bench warrant for alleged civil contempt?

Asked over 1 year ago - Omaha, NE

issued in 2006 for failure to appear and show cause why I am not in contempt. I had written the court that I could not attend and was living in Nebraska. This apparently;y made no difference. I'd like to get a driver's license so I can continue to work but am concerned that the DMV will have me arrested. The warrant specified "Illinois Sheriff and All Illinois Police" and is for body attachment with cash bail of $22,000 (no 10% allowed). That approximated the arrears on child support. Will Nebraska execute this warrant and extradite. I'd like it cleared up but just appearing seems unwise in view of previous injustices placed upon me in court. A previous jailing for non-compliance had a CASH bail of $19,000 and had my spouse not paid it I'd still be holding "the keys to the jail".

1. Brendan Michael Kelly

Pro

Answered . DMV is not likely to arrest, but they may not issue a license with this in the system. You should hire a lawyer in Illinois to help clear up the matter. We will offer you a free initial consultation to talk about the case and show you how we can help you out. Give us a call at 402-455-1711 to set up a time to talk about the matter. We have been in business for almost 25 years and fight hard for the people we represent.

2. Tregg Robert Lunn

Pro

Answered . I am unclear if your contempt citation was for a DL matter or based on civil contempt for something involving a lawsuit. Either way, you will want to hire a lawyer to help you get it cleaned up. Warrants have wyas of coming back to bite you when you least expect, so better to take care of it on your terms.

Disclaimer: The foregoing answer does not create an attorney-client relationship withTregg Lunn his firm. This answer does not constitute legal advice, is provided for informational and educational purposes only for persons interested in the subject matter, is not legal opinion, nor confidential in nature. Each situation is fact specific and may be subject to state specific laws. Without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem fully