How legal is depositing estate checks in an account , no enforcement on back , that were not turned over to the estate .

Asked about 1 year ago - North Creek, NY

I am constantly looking and going over bills that occur-ed when my mother was so sick at the end of her life . One was a refund from a nursing home , she was placed in for temp rehab , anyway when I got the canceled check it was endorsed on the back by a WA state teachers credit union . I sent them the copy and that I was executrix of my mother's estate . . . Surprising enough there was a check sent to me from the credit union for 2 checks another estate check had been also deposited in the account . My sister - in - law works for WA-state . Anyway , no interest for the period it was in the account . How legal is that ? and the interest . The check was for over 10000 . , so interest was more than 2 dollars

1. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Attorney Lutzky is correct. Any checks received after a person dies should be deposited into an estate account. As Executrix, you should contact the Washington State Teachers Credit Union to inquire as to why there was no interest paid. If the answer isn't satisfactory and the foregone interest is significant, you should contact a litigation attorney in Washington. Good luck to you.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . After your mother died all funds should go to an estate account. Contact an attorney to assist you in establishing an estate account and either proceed through probate or administration if it was in NY. If in another state, then contact an attorney in that state.