Skip to main content

How is this possible?

Savannah, GA |

On an unrelated search warrant to our home in July 2013 my husband got arrested for having a marijuana plant. The detectives called me to let me know they were taking him in. I left work and came home. They detained him and asked me if I would come to the station to talk to them as well. I went, no handcuffs. They did not place me under arrest. They questioned us trying to get us to take ownership of the plants. My husband said it was his, I said it was his. They took him to lock up and he got a bail. I went back home. He has no court date as yet, and none scheduled. Now, in November we are out of town and I got a call from my boss saying the detective that arrested him called looking for me saying he had an arrest warrant for me. What do I do?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. You immediately contact a criminal defense attorney.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

  2. You do what you should have done as soon as you came into contact with the police, hire a lawyer immediately.

  3. Your husband needs a criminal defense attorney ASAP to locate the warrant and have it set aside. If you cannot afford private counsel go to the Public Defenders Office ASAP and ask for help.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  4. You need to hire a local criminal defense attorney who is familiar with the local prosecutors, judges, and police officers.

    James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

  5. You need to hire an attorney. Do not speak with the detective prior to speaking with an attorney.

    This answer is not intended to be legal advice. This answer is general in nature and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship you should contact an attorney and formally discuss the specifics of your case.