How is the best way to deal with a fractional section property dispute?

Asked over 1 year ago - Burlington, MI

We have agricultural land, the neighbors are tilling up ground that is over their property line, they think it is theirs but they are clearly over the fence line in existence since 1954. We are planning on hiring a surveyor.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Ryan B. Stearn

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Getting a survey is a good start, however, there are many types of surveys. Make sure that you get a staked boundary survey, which will establish where the boundaries of your property are. Perhaps by having boundary stakes installed and showing your neighbor the survey, this issue will resolve itself. If not, you may have to file a lawsuit against your neighbor.

    The information contained herein is for informational purposes only and does not create any type of attorney-... more
  2. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Hire an attorney to handle this before it becomes ugly. Your survey will be very helpful.

Related Topics

Property line disputes

Property line disputes arise when neighbors can't agree on where the property line lies. They can often be resolved by looking at the deeds to the property.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,979 answers this week

2,849 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,979 answers this week

2,849 attorneys answering