How is overtime figured in a two week pay period in Michigan?

Detroit, MI |

I recently discovered that my employer has been telling people that I work with that we are only entitled to overtime pay over our 80 hours because of how pay periods are set up. We get payed every two weeks.

1. What is your question? Is it whether you're entitled to overtime if you do more than 40 hours of work in one week even if you don't do more than 80 hours in two weeks? If that's your question, the answer is most likely yes. If you have questions, contact the Wage and Hour Division of the Michigan Department of Labor.

My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is my response to your question to be considered legal advice. While I do my best to provide helpful responses given the factual scenario presented, proper analysis of any matter requires a more in-depth conversation than what is practical on Avvo. If you are a member of the military, or if an immediate family member of yours lost his or her life while fighting for our country, I am proud to offer a 10% discount on my fee.

2. The number to the wage and hour division of the Dept. of Labor is 517-322-1825. Just a word of caution. Your employer will most likely not be happy when you file the complaint with the DOL. If the employer is aware of your complaint and retaliates against you by terminating your or finding reasons to discipline you, contact an attorney right away. You only have 90 days from the date of the retaliation to file a lawsuit for this kind of retaliation. Good luck.

Each employment situation has unique facts and circumstances. This means that information and advice cannot be taken literally and should be used as only informational. The information provided here is not legal advice and should not be interpreted as such.