How is overtime figured in a two week pay period in Michigan?

Asked over 1 year ago - Detroit, MI

I recently discovered that my employer has been telling people that I work with that we are only entitled to overtime pay over our 80 hours because of how pay periods are set up. We get payed every two weeks.

1. Mickey David Larson

2

Answered . What is your question? Is it whether you're entitled to overtime if you do more than 40 hours of work in one week even if you don't do more than 80 hours in two weeks? If that's your question, the answer is most likely yes. If you have questions, contact the Wage and Hour Division of the Michigan Department of Labor.

2. Cristine Wasserman Rathe

Answered . The number to the wage and hour division of the Dept. of Labor is 517-322-1825. Just a word of caution. Your employer will most likely not be happy when you file the complaint with the DOL. If the employer is aware of your complaint and retaliates against you by terminating your or finding reasons to discipline you, contact an attorney right away. You only have 90 days from the date of the retaliation to file a lawsuit for this kind of retaliation. Good luck.