How is it legally possible for the Municipal Judge to convict me without the testimonies of the victim and witnesses?

Wichita, KS |

I ended up getting found guilty even though I denied ever committing the charges.
The victim and witness did not show up. This is NOT a domestic case so I believe special statutes regarding the victim's appearance to testify are not applicable.
The only person that testified against me was the arresting officer.

All that is needed is evidence, not from any particular witness. If you did not object to hearsay, the judge took it into account.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

Can you further explain what is considered evidence and give me some examples please? Is a written statement by a witness considered evidence? I was charged with battery; the officer said he seen blood on my hand (which I assume is hearsay) BUT he did not take any pictures of me. All I can think of that is against me is the witness's written statement, police officer's observation of blood on my hand and injury to victim's face (not sure if there were pictures of his face taken). I did not have a lawyer so I got shafted hard.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Police officer's testimony about observations = evidence. Witnesses statements are hearsay but are admissible unless someone objects.

Wow that is rather surprising, is this applicable in all States as evidence? That is kind of outrageous if you ask me, for all I know they could be corrupted and lying about anything to help the court get a conviction (which means both the officer and court profit from the conviction in some way). So just because the officer had experience and training, his testimony is "golden"?

Yes, the judge can find you guilty based solely on the testimony of the officer if he provides evidence of each element and the judge believes it beyond a reasonable doubt. Your denial did not convince the judge that a reasonable doubt existed. This is galling, but happens regularly.

Legal disclaimer: Legal disclaimer: Patrick M. Lewis, (913) 558-3961, patricklewislaw@gmail.com. This answer is intended to provide general information about the justice system. It does not provide legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. It does not provide the basis for making decisions about a course of action. Legal advice requires more communication and information than is possible in this format. Many important considerations and factors need to be investigated and discussed before an attorney could give legal advice about this issue. Before making any decisions about a course of action readers are strongly encouraged to contact a lawyer and secure an attorney-client relationship. Readers must also understand that this format does not provide for confidential communication.

Civil rights topics