How is childsupport back pay calculated?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

My child is 6 years of age and the father and I are sadly going to court now. If the court awards him to pay me child support will he also be made to pay back pay for the previous 6 years?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Raymond Daymude

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Child support is awarded prospectively only. If you have an outstanding support order which has not been fully satisfied the father will have to pay what he has been ordered to pay but has not paid. If this is the first support order you are seeking, the father starts off with a clean slate and only has to pay support going forward.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for... more
  2. Rhonda Diane Ellifritz

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can only go back to the date you filed your request. If you have not asked in 6 years, they will not make him pay it.

    Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing,... more
  3. Bettina Yanez


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No, he will not be ordered to pay for the past six year time period in which you did not request child support. If you file for support on September 20, then if the court makes a child support order the Child support will begin on October 1.

    This does not create an attorney client relationship. Responses are fact specific and the response may differ... more

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Family court and child custody cases

Family court can be the last resort for child custody disagreements when negotiation, mediation, or collaborative law fail to resolve custody disputes.

Samuel Jackson Siemon

Filing for Divorce, What to Expect

Filing for divorce can be a difficult and emotional decision but once you have decided that it must be done, what should you expect? What are the first steps? How long does it take? How... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,437 answers this week

3,436 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,437 answers this week

3,436 attorneys answering