Skip to main content

How is child support determined on commissioned pay?

Quitman, TX |

I work for a company where I worke soley on commission and we have no base salary and not taxes are taken out so how can i figure out how much child support I will have to pay.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Under Texas Law child support is based on what you actually make. That means that they will look at what you made last year as well as what you have made this year year-to-date to setermine what it should be.
If you will go to a local family law attorney with your last years income tax as well as a current paystub showing current and year-to-date information they should be able to tell you what you will probably be paying under the guidelines.

Lynn G. Winborne Attorney at Law 210 W. Franklin Waxahachie, Texas 75165 Tel: (972) 937-0502 Website: LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Lynn Winborne is licensed to practice law in the State of Texas with an office in Waxahachie, Texas, and primarily handles family law matters in Ellis County, Texas. The response herein in not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. These responses are only general legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matters set out in the question. Many times the question does not include significant facts that, if known, could significantly change the response. You are strongly advised to confer with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction to go over your situation in detail and obtain specific legal advice. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and Lynn G. Winborne and that there is no duty of confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction who is familiar with the specific facts and circumstances of your situation and with whom you have an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleague's answer, but I'd like to add that the tax table for self-employed persons should be used in your case. As your compensation is purely based on commissions from which no federal taxes, Medicare, or FICA is withheld, you are essentially self-employed and you should benefit from the court using the correct tax table.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer