How is child support affected once alimony ends? will child support increases when alimony is over?

Asked 12 months ago - Tavares, FL

my lawyer advised me not to give up pursuit of alimony in my divorce settlement with my wife. currently she makes about 51,000 annually to my 22,000. he said alimony will affect the child support payment and it would only be temporary (about 3 years) because we were only married 9 years. when calculating the initial child support I know u claim alimony as income. however in three years when alimony is ended will my lower child support payment stay the same or will it increase?

1. William Charles Rosenfelt

5

Answered . It's hard to say.....you income might be down but you never know. I would think that you would want to see your income increase during that time frame. Regardless, assuming if and how much alimony will be paid is very tricky. Furthermore, trying to predict your respective incomes in 3 years is also tricky. Finally, you have a lawyer! Why are you seeking other advice? We're all going to tell you to talk to an attorney an you already have one. Good luck.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

2. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

4

Answered . I would recommend you have discussions regarding your case with your attorney who is likely 100 times more informed of all the facts than we could be.

3. Carin Manders Constantine

3

Answered . This forum cannot be used to get a 'second opinion' about what your attorney has said to you. He/she knows your case and all the facts.

You really need to listen to your own attorney, but if you do not trust the advice, then you need to hire an attorney that can review your case, with your attorney's knowledge.

Good luck to you.