How is alimony works? I'm working 2 jobs and my husband earning isn't much, can he ask for alimony fr. me if i file divorce

New London, CT |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

i not interested of any child support from him, all i need is to have my own life with my son who is not under 15.

Alimony is based upon 14 factors by statute, but income is a key one. All income is considered, but that doesnt mean you pay alimony. Alimony is not only a fact specific item, but it is also a judge specific item. A judge is given great lattitude in making alimony orders so it is best to have experienced local counsel to advise you on the usual tendencies of your local judge. I suggest you have aconsult with local counsel immediately to discuss your position. Child support is mandatory under our child support guidelines which use up to 45 hours per week of each party's income. There are deviation criteria as well.

This information provided is in the nature of general information and in no way creates an attorney client relationship with anyone including the individual who posted the question. Attorney Norris is licensed only in Connecticut and does not provide legal advice outside of the State of Connecticut. Answers given are solely not to be considered legal advice. For legal advice contact an attorney licensed in your state.

Attorney Norris above is correct; if you are working over 40 hours a week, though, the judge should give you credit for it and should not hold you with an obligation to pay an amount that is based on say 60 or 70 hours worked per week.

This answer is not intended or offered as legal advice, and thus the reader should not rely on any information provided in this answer as such. Readers should not consider the information provided to be an invitation for an attorney-client relationship, and should always seek the advice of an independent attorney. People seeking specific legal advice or assistance should contact an attorney. The content of any Internet e-mail sent to Khan Legal Group, LLC at the e-mail address set forth in this web site will not create an attorney-client relationship and will not be treated as confidential. The content of this answer contains general information and may or may not reflect the current legal developments of Connecticut law. Attorney Khan is not licensed to practice law in any state but Connecticut.

Recommended articles about Divorce