How is alimony determined in PA?

Tunkhannock, PA |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

I was married for 26 yrs and was told alimony is a thing of the past in Pa by 2 attorneys.

Alimony still exists in Pennsylvania, it just might not be commonly awarded in your area. If not agreed upon by the parties, it is determined by a divorce master who weighs 17 different factors set out in the Divorce Code.

My response to this question is intended for informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as legal advice. Please be aware that in answering this question, I do not intend to create a privileged or attorney-client relationship. Further, I can make no guarantee as to the accuracy of said answer due to variables that may not be apparent from the phrasing of the question. Every case is unique and this should not be a substitute for seeking personal legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce