Skip to main content

How is a person supposed to know that they need to file a letter with eeoc on a discrimination employment case?

New York, NY |

where does it say this? is the employer supposed to tell this to me(employee)? i don't understand how i am expected to know that i have to do this

Attorney Answers 4

  1. What do you mean by letter? A charge of discrimination against your employer? Contact for assistance or an attorney, try

    My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action. My office offers free consultations.

  2. A form complaint can be found on the State Division of Human Rights website. When you file with the State agency, it gets cross-filed with the Federal Agency (EEOC). I would recommend that you hire a private attorney but that of course is up to you. Best of luck.

    PLEASE READ THIS DISCLAIMER * I very much like to offer my advice and guidance to those in need. It is why I became a lawyer. However, please note that I have not been engaged to be your lawyer so my advice is general in nature. Certainly, if you would like, please feel free to email or call me to further discuss the particulars of your situation (as many times it is not a good idea to provide a lot of information about your case on a public forum). * Hacker Murphy, LLP * 518.213.0115 * * * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State (including New York City and Long Island). *

  3. Employers are required to post notices at the work site about employee rights, but if you believe you have been discriminated against you should waste no time in seeing an employment lawyer in your city, manhattan has plenty of lawyers as do the boroughs. you can google employment discrimination lawyers and you will get lots of hits. most lawyers will offer a free consutation. is another source, it features lawyers who work for employees as the primary focus of their work--good luck

  4. There should be a poster in the office listing your rights/

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics