How is a citizen who does not work for any company be protected as a whistle blower

Houston, TX |

I became an unwitting whistle blower against a group of people mismanaging federal funds when I filed a discrimination complaint. The perpetrators has a history of mismanaging federal and state funds over a period of years. There seems to be no oversight with these people. In the past several of these people have been exposed of using state and federal funds for their personal gain. I have been retaliated against for my complaint. Who can I turn to for help and how can I be cleared of any wrong doing. These people lied and said it was me who stole federal funds. I have information that will support what I'm saying.

1. What do you need protection from? Typically whistleblowers are protected in limited circumstances from termination or other negative employment actions. But, if you aren't employed at the offending entity, you don't need that kind of protection. So what kind of retaliation are you concerned about? You cannot get insulation or protection from being accused of a crime. That is not a protection that is available on a pre-emptive basis to anyone -- for obvious reasons.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.