How important is it to inform my spouses mother of our marriage before interview with immigration

Asbury Park, NJ |

immigration:got married recently and am filling for residency for my partner,because of family issues we haven't informed family members yet
how important is it that we do before an interview?

1. You need to prove the validity of your marriage to immigration. This can be done in many different ways. Every marriage and every case is different. When the marriage is hidden from family it makes it that much more difficult to prove the marriage is based on love and desire to spend the rest of your lives together than for immigration purposes. This is an issue that will come up at the interview and can create problem. With a case like this, you need to consult with an immigration lawyer to review the details of the marriage, why it hasn't been revealed and what you can do to strengthen your case. Do not post these details on avvo for the whole world to see.

2. It depends on the circumstances. Every case is different and there might be valid reasons for why you have not told about your marriage to family members. Your marriage will be scrutinized by the immigration officer. If you have good reasons for not telling your family members about the marriage AND you have good evidence that your marriage is a good faith marriage, you should be okay.

3. Informing family members is a personal decision and it is up to you; but also note you have the burden of proving the good faith bona fides of your marriage to USCIS.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication.

4. Extremely important. If your family does not know you are married it is an indication of fraud.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

5. There are cases where the adjudicating officer will call the in-laws or other relatives. I am not saying it will happen in your case, but be prepared to explain why your mother-in-law does not know she is your mother-in-law.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

6. There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Your situation is very circumstance specific. As some lawyers have already alluded to, the lack of knowledge by family members could be an issue that raises questions as to the genuine nature of your marital relationship. On the other hand, the both of you may have very good reasons why you have decided to keep your marriage private. It is not necessarily other people's business, even family. I would consult with an attorney to discuss your case in detail.

The above is general information only and should not be construed as legal advice or creating an attorney-client relationship.

7. There is no requirement that you inform any family members of your marriage during the immigration process.

This information is not to be construed as legal advice nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship.