Skip to main content

How I change last name on my green card

Dallas, TX |

I have married an American and my permanent green card issued 2.5 years ago, in that time, I have used his last name as my last name in immigration forms and green card issued while my last name was my husband last name, he cheated on me and I am in the process of divorce, I need to know that should I inform immigration office to issue a new green card for me with my last name?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


File form I-90 with the required fee and proof of the name change

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You file an I-90 after the divorce court changes your name back per the divorce proceedings

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


My colleagues are correct. If you want the card to reflect your new legal name (after the divorce is final), you will file the I-90 with the fee and other required documents.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer