Skip to main content

How I can support my mother while she needs a waiver for misrepresentation.

Chicago, IL |

Hi, I am 21 years old US citizen and full time student and i want to petition for my mother who came here 18 years ago with someones else passport. My father is also US citizen and he was petitioner for her on 1998 but she was denied. My parents are still married but they don't live together. I am living with my mother and depend on her.
Please advise!

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    You petition for her and file for a waiver.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. Consult with an attorney. Waivers (for that matter, most immigration issues) cannot be resolved in a forum. An attorney will be able to best advise you after learning more information from you and about your mother

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  3. She will need a fraud waiver. Probably, she will have to show "extreme hardship" to your father.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. Whether she will be eligible for a fraud waiver based on your petition, or for some other sort of visa depends on too many factors to accurately diagnose here. She should make an appointment with an attorney to discuss the details of her entry, her marriage, her past application, and other relevant personal history.

    Law Office of Mary K. Neal | || 773-681-1335 This answer is intended as public information about a legal topic. Answers posted here do not create an attorney-client relationship. For specific legal advice, please make an appointment to speak with an attorney in private.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics