How i can i defend myself do i need a lawyer? what are consequences ?

New Britain, CT |

I am 19 years old i got dui because i got into accident because it was slippery. My charges are :14-227a , 14-218a . After accident my friend asked cap what are my charges he said that i will get dui and it looked for him like was running away but it is not on my appearance bond. So are they going still to charging me for that ?

1. It is unlikely you will be charged at court if cop didn't charge you at scene. Under 21 and an accident with another person in car. Yes, you should have a lawyer if at all possible. Call a local practitioner who goes to New Britain on regular basis.

This is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is absolutely NOT legal advice that you should rely upon when making a decision. It is general information about the law in Connecticut. You need to consult with an attorney who will ask you all the facts necessary to give you specific legal advice for your situation.

2. A few things are unclear. Did you get into an accident and leave the scene? If so, the prosecutors can always charge you with evading responsibility at a later date. You should definitely hire a lawyer to represent you not only in criminal court but also at the administrative hearing at the DMV regarding the suspension of your driving privileges. There are many excellent lawyers here on AVVO and most offer free consultations. Call one to discuss your case.

3. YES.... You need a lawyer because a DUI charge will affect your ability to drive, and if convicted, will affect your ability to secure employment, may result in jail, and if your accident involved anyone else, (even a passenger in your own car) perhaps more serious charges. If the officer writes in his report that you were evading the scene --- you face even more issues. DUI charges are also "politically charged" and prosecutors are often less likely to reduce charges.... Yes you need an attorney.

Good Luck,

Sal

Attorney Salvatore Bonanno
    Law Offices of Salvatore Bonanno
    67 Russ Street
    Hartford, CT 06106
    (860) 527-6500 Office
    (860) 246-6786 Fax
    www.hartfordlaw.net
    salvatore.bonanno@comcast.net

Attorney Bonanno's answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should carefully consider advice from an attorney hired and who has all facts necessary to properly advise a client, which is why these answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.