How i can i defend myself do i need a lawyer? what are consequences ?

I am 19 years old i got dui because i got into accident because it was slippery. My charges are :14-227a , 14-218a . After accident my friend asked cap what are my charges he said that i will get dui and it looked for him like was running away but it is not on my appearance bond. So are they going still to charging me for that ?

New Britain, CT -

Kevin M Black

Kevin M Black

DUI / DWI Attorney - Wilton, CT

It is unlikely you will be charged at court if cop didn't charge you at scene. Under 21 and an accident with another person in car. Yes, you should have a lawyer if at all possible. Call a local practitioner who goes to New Britain on regular basis.

John Paul Thygerson

John Paul Thygerson

DUI / DWI Attorney - Norwalk, CT

A few things are unclear. Did you get into an accident and leave the scene? If so, the prosecutors can always charge you with evading responsibility at a later date. You should definitely hire a lawyer to represent you not only in criminal court but also at the administrative hearing at the DMV regarding the suspension of your driving privileges. There are many excellent lawyers here on AVVO and most offer free consultations. Call one to discuss your case.

Salvatore Bonanno

Salvatore Bonanno

DUI / DWI Attorney - Hartford, CT

YES.... You need a lawyer because a DUI charge will affect your ability to drive, and if convicted, will affect your ability to secure employment, may result in jail, and if your accident involved anyone else, (even a passenger in your own car) perhaps more serious charges. If the officer writes in his report that you were evading the scene --- you face even more issues. DUI charges are also "politically charged" and prosecutors are often less likely to reduce charges.... Yes you need an attorney.

Good Luck,

Sal

Attorney Salvatore Bonanno
Law Offices of Salvatore Bonanno
67 Russ Street
Hartford, CT 06106
(860) 527-6500 Office
(860) 246-6786 Fax
www.hartfordlaw.net
salvatore.bonanno@comcast.net