Skip to main content

How I can get unpaid money owed to me by a past employer?

Lancaster, PA |

I was working for a small private practice which began experiencing significant financial problems shortly after I started with them. I signed a contract for a salary pay. My employer made various excuses each pay period about why he wasn't able to pay, but kept promising it would be coming soon. Meanwhile I kept working, and he was collecting payment from insurance companies for the work but not paying his employees. I finally quit after not seeing any money. He owes me around $7,000 back pay. I hired a lawyer to write him a letter demanding $ or we would sue, the employer ignored it. I couldn't afford the $2500 to take him court (seeing as I was already about to lose my home due to lack of income). I filed complaints with the appropriate state agencies about labor law violations.

But have gotten no response. In 1/11 I received a W2 from this employer claiming wages and taxes paid to me in 2010. I quit working for him in 2009 and he didn't even pay me my wages then! I know this is fradulent. I filed claims with the IRS and other state agencies. Again, no one seems to care. Meanwhile, this employer is apparently back up in business again (and not bankrupt as had been told to us). What can I do?

Attorney Answers 1

  1. I'm surprised that PA's labor and employment board has not acted on your behalf. He should absolutely face fines and payment of your owed wages. You really need an attorney to deal with this and to find and go after his assets. If you can't afford an attorney, try seeing if one close to you can do it on contingency or partial contingency. I know our firm handles issues in Lancaster on occasion on a partial contingency. Meaning, if we'd normally charge $5,000, then we would only get paid $2,000, but be entitled to a certain percentage of whatever is collected.

    Nothing in this question or answer shall let any person or use (including the person who asked the question) the impression that Mr. Benari is their attorney or that the attorney-client relationship has been created. All answers given by Mr. Benari are made as if they were hypotheticals, and no true legal advice can be given unless Mr. Benari is retained and is provided with a complete set of all the facts involved.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics