How I can get green card through my brother?

Asked over 2 years ago - Austin, TX

I am PhD student, and I have J1 visa. I want to get green card becase my brother has green card and he lived in the USA since 1999.So, I want to know if I can get green card through my bother.Thanks

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Karen-Lee Pollak

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Only once he becomes a citizen can he sponsor you and hten it will take 10 years at least

  3. Myron Russell Morales


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, he will have to naturalize first. Once he sponsors you, the wait will be many years. You should consider Outstanding Researcher or Advanded Degree Professional categories once you have a job in your field.

  4. Robert F. Loughran

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . We would be happy to assist you with this immigration matter. Please contact us directly at (512) 852-4116 to set up a consultation.

  5. N David Shamloo

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your brother must be a US citizen to apply for you and then it will take over 10 years for a visa to become available. Good luck!

    The Law Office of David N. Shomloo, LLC. David N. Shomloo, Esq. Immigration/Criminal practice 222 N W Davis st.... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,029 answers this week

3,426 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,029 answers this week

3,426 attorneys answering