How hard is it to prove "with intent to commit a crime therein" for burglary 3rd degree in NY?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kingston, NY

Do the police lie during a trial most of the time or what?

1. Richard C. Southard

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . How difficult it is to prove your intent depends on the facts unique to any case. For example, did you have burglars tools, did you have property that did not belong to you, did you make admissions to the police, did you have a valid reason for your presence, do you have prior convictions that can be used against you (usually only used if you testify but can be used if there is a particular M.O. involved. These are just a few. Your attorney, depending on their level of experience, should be able to tell you what arguments the prosecutor will use. I wouldn't say "most" of the time but I think they some do lie in an effort to help the case. Sometimes its those lies that result in an acquittal.

Richard Southard
    212-385-8600
    I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office who has been specializing in criminal law for over 16 years. I offer free consultations by telephone, in-office or by video-conference.

2. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

3

1

Answered . Most Police don't lie most of the time. I suspect some lie often, but fortunately it isn't a large number. On the other hands thieves lie most of the time. How easy is it to prove "with intent to commit a crime therein" depends on a lot of factors which were not in your post, and should not be on a public message board. If for example, you were caught in a private home in the middle of the night when the owners were not there and you broke a window to get in, its easy. If you were caught in a public park during day light hours, its not.

3. Benjamin J Lieberman

2

1

Answered . There are many ways the prosecution can establish the “intent to commit a crime.” Some may be more difficult than others. It all depends of the facts and circumstances of the case.