How fast can i get a divorce so i can get remarried?

Asked over 2 years ago - Glencoe, MN

I got married in Louisiana in 2008 and split up with him after only a few months. Now I want to get married again but i want to do it in the next few weeks. We do not want to wait how can i speed this along so i can get it done faster. We do not have anything together, no children, no back accounts, no cars or houses.

1. Maury Devereau Beaulier

2

Answered . I am afraid that a quick divorce is rather relative. It would likely take longer than a few weeks, although having it concluded within a month or two is not outside the realm of possibility depending on your county.

First, to speed up your divorce, you must reach an agreement with your spouse on the issues.

Second, that agreement must be drafted into a Marital Termination Agreement that is signed before a Notary. Your spouse is provided divorce documents called a Summons and Petition which is then filed with the court with a filing fee (usually around $400), the executed Marital Termination Agreement, a proposed final Order, a Default Dissolution Scheduling Information Sheet and an Affidavit or Acknowledgement of Service.

Finally, the Court will review the documents and, if a default dissolution is appropriate, it will sign the order.

For a consultation call 612.240.8005

and

2. Benjamin Josef Colburn

1

Answered . The fastest divorce will be accopmlished by having an agreement in proper written form with your not yet ex-spouse which will cover all issues. You will likely have to serve and file a Summons and Petition, pay a filing fee (around $400 unless you qualify for fee waiver, for which there is additional paperwork required), and provide a written Stipulation which you and your spouse have signed (notarized signatures of course).

Even with total cooperation from your current spouse, you may not be divorced within the next few weeks. It is next to impossible to accurately predict how long it could take, as so many vaiables come into play. I would say at least a month, which presumes full cooperation from your current spouse.

If your current spouse's whereabouts are not known to you, the process will likely take much longer, requiring obtaining court permission to serve your spouse via "alternate means" (usually by published notice), publishing notice, and then seeking a default judgment after enough time has gone by.

3. Michael J Corbin

Answered . It can't be done in your time frame. While there is no mandatory waiting period in MN, getting a divorce completed in your time frame is impossible. Preparation of documents, service of process, completing a settlement, submission to the court, etc. takes some time.