Skip to main content

How fast can i get a divorce so i can get remarried?

Glencoe, MN |

I got married in Louisiana in 2008 and split up with him after only a few months. Now I want to get married again but i want to do it in the next few weeks. We do not want to wait how can i speed this along so i can get it done faster. We do not have anything together, no children, no back accounts, no cars or houses.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I am afraid that a quick divorce is rather relative. It would likely take longer than a few weeks, although having it concluded within a month or two is not outside the realm of possibility depending on your county.

First, to speed up your divorce, you must reach an agreement with your spouse on the issues.

Second, that agreement must be drafted into a Marital Termination Agreement that is signed before a Notary. Your spouse is provided divorce documents called a Summons and Petition which is then filed with the court with a filing fee (usually around $400), the executed Marital Termination Agreement, a proposed final Order, a Default Dissolution Scheduling Information Sheet and an Affidavit or Acknowledgement of Service.

Finally, the Court will review the documents and, if a default dissolution is appropriate, it will sign the order.

For a consultation call 612.240.8005


Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at


The fastest divorce will be accopmlished by having an agreement in proper written form with your not yet ex-spouse which will cover all issues. You will likely have to serve and file a Summons and Petition, pay a filing fee (around $400 unless you qualify for fee waiver, for which there is additional paperwork required), and provide a written Stipulation which you and your spouse have signed (notarized signatures of course).

Even with total cooperation from your current spouse, you may not be divorced within the next few weeks. It is next to impossible to accurately predict how long it could take, as so many vaiables come into play. I would say at least a month, which presumes full cooperation from your current spouse.

If your current spouse's whereabouts are not known to you, the process will likely take much longer, requiring obtaining court permission to serve your spouse via "alternate means" (usually by published notice), publishing notice, and then seeking a default judgment after enough time has gone by.

Communications made as part of the question and answer forum on AVVO or other initial consultation(s) do not establish an attorney/client relationship. The content of this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a source of solicitation or legal advice. An attorney-client relationship is not formed by viewing this answer or by sending electronic mail to the writer. Further, information contained herein is not to be construed as an invitation for an attorney-client relationship.


It can't be done in your time frame. While there is no mandatory waiting period in MN, getting a divorce completed in your time frame is impossible. Preparation of documents, service of process, completing a settlement, submission to the court, etc. takes some time.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer