How far into my driving history can employers (legally) go back in NJ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Forked River, NJ

I am applying for a job and they will do a criminal background and driving record check. I had a DUI a little over 10 yrs. ago, and as I understand it will not show up on criminal background check. But I wonder if they can legally get my whole driving history through DMV or if they just get the "abstract" driver history which is 5 years.

1. Allan E Richardson

6

Answered . "Legally," they can get whatever is on the public record if they want to pay someone to do the digging.

2. Steven Todd Keppler

6

Answered . If they're looking for your driving record, then it's likely your job requires you to drive for the company frequently. If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a full history.

3. Ronald J Brandmayr Jr

5

Answered . They can legally get your entire driving history.

4. Jeff Krigel

1

Answered . If its public record it will be there.

5. Kevin S. Vander Werff

Pro

Answered . It is really up to the employer, and how aggressive they want to be in "digging" up information on their applicants. Public record is just that, public record.