How far into my driving history can employers (legally) go back in NJ?

Forked River, NJ |

I am applying for a job and they will do a criminal background and driving record check. I had a DUI a little over 10 yrs. ago, and as I understand it will not show up on criminal background check. But I wonder if they can legally get my whole driving history through DMV or if they just get the "abstract" driver history which is 5 years.

1. "Legally," they can get whatever is on the public record if they want to pay someone to do the digging.

A response to a question posted on Avvo is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. It is informational only. Allan E. Richardson, Esq. arichardson@employmentlaw-nj.com Richardson, Galella & Austermuhl 142 Emerson ST., Woodbury, NJ 08096 856-579-7045.

2. If they're looking for your driving record, then it's likely your job requires you to drive for the company frequently. If so, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a full history.

The foregoing is not legal advice, and nothing in the foregoing shall be deemed to create an attorney client relationship. If you feel you need to speak with an attorney regarding your issue, it is recommended that you contact an attorney with expertise in your area of inquiry. The information related above is purely for informational purposes, and should not be acted upon without speaking with qualified counsel familiar with you specific situation and the laws related thereto.

3. They can legally get your entire driving history.

4. If its public record it will be there.

5. It is really up to the employer, and how aggressive they want to be in "digging" up information on their applicants. Public record is just that, public record.

Traffic tickets topics