How far behind in payments does a case have to be for enforcement to occur, or to classify as a felony?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

My ex-husband has skipped back and forth from Florida to Ohio multiple times without notifying the courts, and now resides in Ohio. Ohio is currently handling enforcement, though he's been there for 2 years skipping payments with zero consequences. He is now over 10,000 behind, and the CSEA has had his residential and employment info for over a year. When I contact them, they refuse to respond to me and refer me to the Florida Department of Revenue. The DOR tells me they can only send an inquiry to Ohio and wait 30 days for a response, which they have never received in 2 years of trying. I feel abandoned by a broken system. Any advice? Any idea when I can expect support, or enforcement?

1. Carin Manders Constantine

10

Answered . I understand your frustration as I used to work for the AG enforcing DOR, CSE Orders. Since he is now in Ohio, the Order must be enforced in Ohio. You can hire an Ohio and Florida barred Attorney to cut through the red tape and I do know one, but short of hiring a private attorney, you are at the mercy of the government. In Florida, you can bring criminal charges for every $5,000 of arrears, but not sure about Ohio. Best of luck to you.

2. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

8

Answered . The best thing to do is not rely upon the government, hire a private attorney.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,
  3. Tami Lane Augen

Pro

5

Answered . I agree with my colleagues, the delay with the government attempting to resolve this for you vs. a private attorney may make it worthwhile to obtain private counsel. If you retain counsel in Ohio, where he is located, that should be the quickest way to proceed against him. Best of luck.

4. John Arthur Smitten

5

Answered . Ohio will have to enforce the order. The child support collection system is totally overwhelmed so you may or may not get money.

5. William Charles Rosenfelt

2

Answered . I think that finding an attorney licensed in both states is an excellent idea and will truly help you navigate both systems as well as possible. Good luck.