Skip to main content

How far back to I have to go for time spent overseas on the N400 form. Would it be from the date I received my visa or

Orlando, FL |

The date I received my green card. Does it have to be exact dates Thank you

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    Their are two time periods that are required to be covered on the N-400 application. Either five years in the US prior to filing the N-400 or the the entire period you have been a lawful permanent resident of the US, whichever is longer. For instance if you spent 4 years in non immigrant status and married a US citizen and you are now seeking naturalization based on being married to a US citizen, you may be a permanent resident for three years but need to include trips going back 5 years to include the last two years in non immigrant status.


    Robert Brown LLC
    Baldwin Park Center
    4767 New Broad Street
    Orlando, Florida 32814

  2. The date you entered the US with the immigrant visa.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. The N-400 form requests information for all trips made outside the US since becoming a lawful permanent resident. I recommend that you consult with a qualified US Immigration & Nationality lawyer to seek additional guidance.

  4. The date from which you received your green card. You should be as close as accurate as possible with the dates.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  5. Date you obtained lawful permanent residence (LPR) in the US. The USCIS needs to determine if you've ever abandoned your LPR status and if you're eligible for US citizenship based on the residence requirement.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics