How far back can Illinois go on a prior d.u.i. conviction to use against you

Pleasant Hill, IL |

this is my third d.u.i. charge with the first happening 20 years ago and the 2nd 2 years ago

Your DUI record goes back for your entire lifetime. This would count as a 3rd DUI and as for the suspension portion of the case, you are not considered a first time offender and are facing either 1 or 3 years of a hard suspension, meaning no driving relief is available. A 3rd time DUI can be charged as a Class 4 felony. You need to hire an experienced DUI attorney in your local area.

This comment is being left for informational purposes only and based solely on the information provided in the question. This comment does NOT create an attorney - client relationship. An attorney should be contact directly and given the full details of the specific circumstances in order to be best able to assist in the issues at hand.

In short - forever. If your question has to do with enhancement of the charge or figuring out what penalties will apply, then forever. If your question has to do with the length of your suspension, the Secretary of State looks back five years. See the linked videos for more.

My answer is not an agreement for representation. No such agreement can be made with myself or my firm without an express agreement between the parties. Any answer I give is based entirely on the information you provided, and for a more complete and accurate answer, you should always speak with an attorney personally.

No time limit.

Lifetime for that given motorist.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois 773-562-8602