How far back can an employer go in criminal background checks in the state of Calif?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Felony DUI

1. Diane M Medina

Answered . A felony remains on your criminal record forever. Employers will often perform an entire criminal background check on you, so when asked if you've ever even convicted of a felony, you must always answer honestly and explain the circumstances because they will discover it.

2. Denis Hurley White Jr

Answered . I'm not aware of anything that limits employers in regards to background checks. If you authorize them to do a background check but you try to limit them to a certain time frame you'll make them suspicious. Department of Justice would be the prefererred source for criminal records and it's my undersdtanding that they keep records for 100 years.