How far back can an employer go in criminal background checks in the state of Calif?

Felony DUI

1. A felony remains on your criminal record forever. Employers will often perform an entire criminal background check on you, so when asked if you've ever even convicted of a felony, you must always answer honestly and explain the circumstances because they will discover it.

The information contained in this answer does constitute legal advice nor does it constitute any warranties of any kind. Furthermore, the information provided does not in any way form a confidential attorney-client relationship and you are encouraged to seek legal counsel before relying on any portion of the information conveyed to you.

2. I'm not aware of anything that limits employers in regards to background checks. If you authorize them to do a background check but you try to limit them to a certain time frame you'll make them suspicious. Department of Justice would be the prefererred source for criminal records and it's my undersdtanding that they keep records for 100 years.