How exactly do I send IRS a copy of 1099-MISC form that I have issued? Also, is there a deadline?

Pompano Beach, FL |

I started a business in 2012, I hired a contractor part time and paid her $7,400 for the work she did for me. I understand that I have to send her a 1099-MISC form by Jan 31st 2013. I also understand that I need to send a copy to IRS but I am unable to figure out how to do it? Do I just send a copy of the 1099 by regular post mail? Or can I upload these details online somewhere? Second related question - is there a deadline for reporting this 1099 to IRS?

File Copy A of this form with the IRS by February 28, 2014. If you file electronically, the due date is March 31, 2014. To file electronically, you must have software that generates a file according to the specifications in Pub. 1220, Specifications for Filing Forms 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, 8935, and W-2G Electronically. The IRS does not provide a fill-in form option.

If you are going to file by mail the address is:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301

Ms. Jacobs is correct. You can purchase the forms at an office products store and they'll have all of the necessary forms. You can also order these from the IRS.

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California and handles federal tax matters throughout the U.S. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.

Recommended articles about Employment