How effective would be assistance of the lawyer , who represented prior my accuser in different matter?

I want to disprove false allegation against me in heinous crime, and eventually I fond a lawyer who agreed to help me in some way. However, it turned out that in past the lawyer defended my accuser in some charges.

Chicago, IL -

Joshua Sachs

Joshua Sachs

Criminal Defense Attorney - Chicago, IL

That is not an effective assistance issue, it is a conflict issue. It might or might not be a serious problem both technically and in practice. There is not enough information in your posting to say for sure.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - Mokena, IL

You should probably find another lawyer. This lawyer may have a conflict of interest.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Criminal Defense Attorney - Chicago, IL

Even though the prior attorney may have excellent legal ability and composition to defend your case, the present situation calls for a completely remote and impartial attorney who did not represent your "prior accuser in a different matter," as you stated. Such internal conflict must be avoided at all costs. Research and select a reputable criminal counsel of your choice, as this jurisdiction has many splendid counsels.

Anthony Michael Solis

Anthony Michael Solis

Criminal Defense Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

This is clearly a conflict of interest. I question whether the lawyer you found would even agree to represent you. In any event, you should find another attorney who does not have this conflict.

Related Advice