How easy is it to get immigration status for non-immediate family members?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Dearborn, MI

My sister and I are closest to one cousin among all of our relatives. Is there anything we can do to help him immigrate?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Heather Louise Garvock


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . As my colleagues pointed out, you cannot petition for a cousin to come to the US on a family based immigrant visa. Your cousin would need a US Citizen spouse, parent, child, or sibling or a permanent resident spouse or parent to petition for them. The only way you could help out is if the petitioning relative did not meet the income requirements to support your cousin, then you could offer to "sponsor" him.

    If he doesn't have one of these relatives, he may want to look into an employment based visa and his eligibility for one of these visas is going to depend on his profession, education, skills, etc.

    If he doesn't have the necessary skills or degree necessary to pursue an employment based visa and he is thinking about furthering his education, he can always apply for a student visa. If he needs help with the financial requirements, you could help him with that as well.

    If you have more detailed questions, talk to an immigration attorney.

  2. Robert West

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot directly petition for a cousin. So, you have to find another way to assist your cousin.

One or more answers have been taken down.

Related Topics

Immigrant visas

Immigrant visas can lead to permanent residence in the US, but they require being sponsored by either a family member or employer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,279 answers this week

3,111 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,279 answers this week

3,111 attorneys answering