How easy is it to get full custody of my child?

My ex-girlfriend and I are moving apart and we need to decide who will get custody of our kid. I don’t think she is stable and was wondering how much more difficult it is being granted sole custody versus joint custody?

Austin, TX -

Christopher Michael Vincent Kirker

Christopher Michael Vincent Kirker

Child Custody Lawyer - Austin, TX

You or your ex-girlfriend will need to file a Suit Affecting the Parent Child Relationship. Depending on your living situation you may want to act quickly since there are currently no "rules" in place if there is no pre-existing court order. The absence of a court order can be problematic since you and your ex-girlfriend will need to work out an informal agreement between the two of you and this historically leads to problems that can otherwise be avoided by hiring an attorney and filing a lawsuit.

Mary Katherine Brown

Mary Katherine Brown

Child Custody Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

If your ex-girlfriend agrees, there is little difference in the degree of difficulty. On the other hand, if she disputes it, is usually a lot more difficult! Now would be a good time for you to consult with a local attorney and review all your rights, options and obligations before you take any further action. You can find attorneys by searching among the profiles here on Avvo. Good luck!

If you found this answer helpful, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" once you've received sufficient responses to your question.