How does the voluntary departure process work?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Upland, CA

My fiance had court yesterday and lost but the judge granted him voluntary departure until 02/06/13, i know we have to purchase his plane ticket for him but as far as his passaport is ICE in charge of getting that? Do i need to get in contact with his ICE Agent? any help please let me know this is a very stressful time.Thanks

1. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

4

Answered . Coordinate with ICE on the passport/travel document issue. You might also want to consult with an immigration attorney about the possibility of filing an appeal.

2. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . If ICE has the passport, you must meet with them to arrange for returning it so they can comply with voluntary departure.

3. Irene Vaisman

Pro

5

Answered . strange that VD was granted without a valid passport/travel document. Yes, contact ICE. Once back home, he will also need to register at the consulate. But I would see an immigration attorney now to see what if anything can be done and whether the case can be appealed. Was he represented?

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.