How does the USCIS verify that the person who translated a document is certified to do so?

Asked about 1 year ago - Indianapolis, IN

A friend of mine translated my birth certificate for the I485 form. Does the USCIS verify that my friend is certified to translate documents or that she is fluent in my language and English?

1. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

4

1

Answered . No USCIS does not do that. The translator simply attaches a document that essentially provides " I, state your name, certify that I am competent to translate from what language to English and English to what language. I have translated the document to the best of my ability." The sign the document, date it and provide contact information.

2. Irene Vaisman

2

Answered . The translator provides an attestation that he/she is authorized to provide certified translations.

3. Anu Gupta

Pro

2

Answered . The translator certifies that what he is translating is true. Nothing further is required.

4. Lalita Haran

Answered . certified translators are not required. The only qualification is that the person has knowledge of both languages.
    Lalita Haran
    (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com