Skip to main content

How does the USCIS verify that the person who translated a document is certified to do so?

Indianapolis, IN |

A friend of mine translated my birth certificate for the I485 form. Does the USCIS verify that my friend is certified to translate documents or that she is fluent in my language and English?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No USCIS does not do that. The translator simply attaches a document that essentially provides " I, state your name, certify that I am competent to translate from what language to English and English to what language. I have translated the document to the best of my ability." The sign the document, date it and provide contact information.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.



Thank you for your explanation Theodore. I know I can not translate the document myself. What if my husband, who is petitioning for me, does it. Is it authorized to do so?


The translator provides an attestation that he/she is authorized to provide certified translations.

Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.


The translator certifies that what he is translating is true. Nothing further is required.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.


certified translators are not required. The only qualification is that the person has knowledge of both languages.
Lalita Haran
(317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer