Skip to main content

How does simple misconduct work in New Jersey with unemployment?

Camden, NJ |

I was fired from my job and disqualified from receiving unemployment benefits for 7 weeks due to simple misconduct. After my 7 weeks are up (April 6, 2013), am I able to get the benefits that I would of gotten after being discharged? Or do I basically start brand new on that date? Do I have to reapply or just make a claim after that date? I'm qualified for $135 a week and should receive about $1,000 if all goes right.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


I would need to see the original letter you received advising you of initial denial...

Under normal circumstances your payment would be automatic, but I would encourage you to reach out to unemployment to clarify...

If you still have questions contact an attorney...


When you are disqualified for simple misconduct, you are disqualified for receiving benefits for the first 8 weeks of your claim. Thereafter, you ordinarily would receive your benefits in the ordinary course. You should have been submitting a claim during your disqualification period. If so, then you likely will not have to do anything to get the first check. If you did not claim during the disqualification period, it may be more complicated. You should consult with an experienced New Jersey unemployment attorney if you require advice.

Mashel Law, LLC - The information provided here is only general information and may or may not reflect the most current legal developments. This information is not intended to constitute nor should it be considered legal advice. The information provided is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer