How does simple misconduct work in New Jersey with unemployment?

Asked over 1 year ago - Camden, NJ

I was fired from my job and disqualified from receiving unemployment benefits for 7 weeks due to simple misconduct. After my 7 weeks are up (April 6, 2013), am I able to get the benefits that I would of gotten after being discharged? Or do I basically start brand new on that date? Do I have to reapply or just make a claim after that date? I'm qualified for $135 a week and should receive about $1,000 if all goes right.

1. Robert Bond

Answered . I would need to see the original letter you received advising you of initial denial...

Under normal circumstances your payment would be automatic, but I would encourage you to reach out to unemployment to clarify...

If you still have questions contact an attorney...

2. Syrion Anthony Jack

Answered . When you are disqualified for simple misconduct, you are disqualified for receiving benefits for the first 8 weeks of your claim. Thereafter, you ordinarily would receive your benefits in the ordinary course. You should have been submitting a claim during your disqualification period. If so, then you likely will not have to do anything to get the first check. If you did not claim during the disqualification period, it may be more complicated. You should consult with an experienced New Jersey unemployment attorney if you require advice.