How does security deposit work, and how much will I get back?

Brockton, MA |

I moved out of a Brockton, MA apartment, into another. My things remained there for 17 days into the month (this month) and I returned the keys today. The security deposit was $1086. I am unsure as to how much I will get back (the place was cleaned very well, though whatever was wrong was either like that when i got there such as wax on the carpet, or caused by a mouse problem due to the landlady refusing to pay exterminators to get rid of them) and I want to know how much I get back.

1. usually it is at least a 30 day cycle which means that you owe money or rent for the entire cycle, assuming it is 30 days, it so ends.

You are entitled to a walk through and a list of any items which the landlord may think of deducting. You are entitled to know which account, interest bearing, the money was placed, and the amount of interest.

The rest is purely math.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

2. How much was the monthly rent? In MA, a landlord can only charge up to one month's rent for security. If he or she did not handle the security deposit correctly, you may be able to a full refund (landlord is estopped from damages in certain cases). Regardless, you should send a 30 day demand for the return of whatever amount you are entitled. A good housing attorney may be able to get you up to 3 times what you paid plus attorney fees.

3. The two other lawyers are correct about the issues they pointed out. The Security Deposit law in Mass is very technical and specific about the handling of the funds and it trips up a lot of landlords. There are also potentially harsh penalties (i.e. triple the amount of the deposit) if there is a violation. You should consult with a landlord/tenant attorney if you believe there is a violation.

Landlord-tenant law topics