How does renters insurance calculate depreciation

Asked over 1 year ago - Harrison, NY

I have a computer I bought 2 years ago for around $600. It was destroyed in a flood. How much can I expect they will estimate its worth and how do they calculate such things?

1. Craig A. Post

3

Answered . Your carrier should disclose the formula used to calculate depreciation. If not, it is pretty standard in the industry. You should be able to get the information on line as this is a regularly asked FAQ. Remember, you don't have to accept the carriers initial offer. Challenge it if you think their number is too low or calculation is not correct. Lastly, there are depreciation calculators all over the internet that may be of some use to you.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . Review your insurance contract and ask your insurance broker to explain it to you. As a quick idea you can check ebay or a similar site to see what the unit is going for. It also depends on the type of policy you have and whether it is for replacement cost.

3. Robert John Murillo

3

Answered . They calculate based on the terms of the insurance agreement. Review that and contact them with questions.

4. Clayton Harold Walker Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . It depends on the insurance contract that you purchased. It takes more space than allotted here to explain the full process. Travelers Insurance has a great explanation of how their policy works at https://www.travelers.com/claim/support-center/....